May 18, 2012

Let's Build Something: Windows

Budget has been a big part of this tree house being practical.  I know that I want windows in this thing for a couple of reasons: I don't want this to feel like a cave and I would like a cross breeze.  I have looked into buying windows, but the cheapest new window is about $50 at Menards and used windows on Craigslist are about the same price.  This means I should make them from scratch.

I made a couple that I think came out pretty nice.  They ended up costing about $25 each, but it is still worth it.  I also got that cool feeling of accomplishment.  I am going to outline the steps I took to make them after the jump.

I first took an 8 foot long treated 2x2 and cut a 0.750 deep groove in it for the plexiglass to sit in.  I used a Craftsman Trim saw which is pretty much a circular saw that has a miter attachment.



I then used a miter saw to cut 45 degree angles in the 2x2 like a picture frame.  This is to make the window pane.

I then assembled the pane using the galvanized corner brackets.

Here is the finished window pane with my helper.


I next glued on screen moulding to mimic a window grill.  Here it is half completed.


Now it is time to work on the frame.  I cut a rabbet for the pane and a rabbet for the screen out of an 8 foot long 2x4 using my trim saw.  Here I am cutting the first vertical cut.


I then flipped the board 90 degrees to compete the  rabbet for the screen.  Look at all that sawdust!




And then I complete the rabbet for the pane.

I then cut a portion off for the bottom sill.  I cut a 45 degree part off the screen rabbet, which is going to be on the outside of the window, so water doesn't collect.

I then used a chisel to clear out parts of the frame sides so they mate to the profile of the upper and lower frames sections. 




Here I am marking the bottom piece to cut the window to width.

I got everything cut to width and length and laid out before it gets nailed together.

I used 6d galvanized finishing nails to assemble the frame.


I attach the frame and the pane, I used galvanized T-Hinges.  I had to chisel a slight relief into the frame for the hinges so the pane would sit flat against the frame when closed.



And here is it finally assembled.


Entering into the home stretch.  I used treated 1x4s to make the trim around the outside.  I cut a 45 degree angle on the bottom piece to match the 45 degree of the bottom sill again for water rolls off.


















Here is the window with all the trim in place.


Last step:  Make the screen.  I bought a $3 screen from a ReUse store that was slightly over sized.  It was important to also have the corner pieces that allowed easy dis-assembly of the screen frame.





I cut the frame to width and length using a hacksaw.

Here is the completed screen frame. 

I didn't mention is before and I don't have a good picture of making it, but there is a groove at the top of the window frame that allows the screen frame to recess into.  This helps hold the top of the screen in place.

I used a spline tool, utility knife and small screw driver to put the same screening back into the frame.



Final step.  I drilled holes into the window frame for the screen pins to sit so the screen can be held in place.

And there it is:  the completed window with screen built from scratch.


2 comments:

  1. That is really cool. I love elegant solutions to design problems with opposing constraints (meaning "looks good" + "functions easily" + "costs little")

    Are you the kind of guy that designs something like this completely, down to the fractional inch, before cutting wood; or the kind of guy that just makes a rough sketch and figures out the details as the process unfolds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I somewhere between a rough sketch guy and a minute detail guy. In the case of the windows, size was purely dictated by the size of the plexiglass that I already had (cut the plexiglass, then cut the pane wood to fit the plexiglass, then fit the frame around that ... ). However, the profile cross section for each part had to be sketched out ahead of time with dimensions. I also was not perfect. I knew there was going to be something goofy about the mating of the side pieces to the bottom sill, but I wrap my head around it until I started to build and realized :oh yeah, a chisel is going to be needed....

    -Ben

    ReplyDelete